September 03, 2009

A Blast from the Past

I knew exactly what I needed to do to relieve my stress.  I had to bake something.  The only problem was that I was short on time so it needed to be a quick and easy recipe.  I  had a couple of recipes in mind but they all seemed to have too many steps. I was ready to give up but I turned to my old faithful recipe binder and flipped straight to the back of it where the good stuff is filed.  You know the ones I mean.  Old faithfuls.  

Sure enough I came across a recipe that was given to me almost eighteen years ago.  It was one of those recipes that you come across when a group of women get together for coffee and someone brings just the right cake and you just have to have the recipe.  Luckily for me this friend was generous enough to share her recipe.  She seemed almost embarassed because it was such a simple recipe - nothing fancy was what she said.  Sometimes those recipes are the ones that are the best because there are very few steps for a lot of reward.  This is that kind of recipe.

I don't know why I haven't made this recipe in such a long time.  I guess there are so many recipes to try and so little time. I have discovered that new is not always better and that applies to lots of things in life, not just cooking. Maybe it is time to enjoy old familiar favorites again.  Mix the old with the new and enjoy the best of both worlds.


Orange Cake
125g butter
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
2 tablespoons custard powder
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon orange zest

Preheat oven to 350F.
Add butter and sugar to a bowl and use a mixer to cream.
Add eggs, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla and mix to thoroughly combine
Add sifted flour and custard powder.
Pour into a greased 8-inch cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
When cool sift icing sugar over top if desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.