September 21, 2010

Love ya Bunches

Has it really been that long since I have updated my blog?  Where did the time go?  I have been making lots of goodies, but I just haven't seemed to be motivated to get my fingers busy typing and get the words written down here.  The next few posts will be the clearing up of my backlog.  I just have to remember what I baked.  Thank goodness I took photos so I can work may back back from there.



Honey Macadamia Bunches

I discovered this recipe at the Whole Grain Gourmet when I was searching for some healthy treats to make.  My husband is currently training for the Ironman (Triathlon) World Championships in Kona and he does a big training session on Saturdays with a group of friends. I really wanted to find something a little more healthy that he could take to share after their big workout.  I made some changes to the original recipe by replacing the pecans with macadamia nuts, decreasing the sugar, and adding vanilla, cinnamon, & salt.  Other than that I made the recipe as stated.  I realize that this is not the healthiest recipe I could make due to the amount of butter. Next time I will try replacing some of the butter with apple sauce.


 Ingredients:
  • 3 cups quick oats
  • 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cups finely ground flax seed
  • 1 cup coconut (shredded or flaked)
  • 1 cup macadamias (chopped)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup honey or molasses
  • 1 cup butter
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 325
  2. Combine oats, flour, flax seed, coconut, salt, cinnamon, and nuts in a large bowl.
  3. Melt butter, sugar and honey in saucepan over low heat, then add vanilla.
  4. Add melted butter mixture to dry ingredients.
  5. Fill mini muffin tins 3/4 full.
  6. Bake 9-12 minutes, until browned and chewy.
Printer Friendly Version

These were so easy to make and I really liked that you can make extras as they freeze really well. I also think that they would be good with some crystallized ginger added to the mixture.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.